Saturday, September 24, 2011

Unicorn Nation

I grew up in the Church of Christ in Somerset, PA.  Our church had around 70 members.  Most of them were some how related to me.  Until I was in my 20’s in college we had the same preacher, John Hinton.  John baptized my dad, married my parents, and baptized me when I was in 7th grade.  He and his wife had 11 wonderful children.  We grew up together, attended church camp together, went to youth rally’s together, went to drive-in movies together, and sat around the bonfire together.  The Hinton’s and Thompson’s basically made up the entire youth group.  We have so many wonderful memories together.  We still keep in touch on facebook and through family members.  John’s son, Jimmy is now the preacher at my home town church.  He and his wife have done a wonderful job bringing the church closer together and bringing in new members.  I look forward to the Sunday’s I am at home and can listen to him speak.  Love you, Jimmy!!

The Hinton family has gone through a tremendous ordeal recently.  They found out that their father, a preacher for 30 years, has sexually abused numerous little girls. Chris Hinton is now on a rampage to fight against child sexual abuse.  Check out his blog - honest, heartbreaking, painful, tear jerking, and empowering:  The Making of a Genious.  (go to the first post in the september archives and read from there)

This is me supporting him and this cause.   I’m a proud member of Unicorn Nation. 

301595_1980272668191_1284390744_31701367_70377567_n

Chris- Keep doing what you are doing!!!  So many lives are already changing because of your story and your fight in this war.  Love you!!

Pray for the entire Hinton family and the Somerset Church of Christ.

No comments: